Friday, January 25, 2008

Turkey for Keller

Just a quick post at the end of a crazy day. Klaus Peter Keller stopped by the shop this afternoon. It was lovely to see him but that’s about all there was to it. I bought him a turkey sandwich for lunch, chatted for about 30 seconds, turned around to help a customer and, c’est tout, he was gone – no doubt off to the next stop on his whirlwind tour of the northeast corridor. I would love to have made it up to his tasting in New York tonight, not only for the chance to squeeze in another few words and taste through some of his current releases but also to catch up with a few old friends and connect with some new ones. If any of you made it to the event, I’d love to hear your thoughts.

Klaus-Peter (at right) during a visit to the Rheinhessen in 2004.

3 comments:

Lyle Fass said...

It was a mob scene. '06 Kirchspiel was unreal but it was such a scene. You would have had less to say than during the turkey sandwich exchange. I had a lovely dinner with him on Friday night which I will be writing up soon.

RougeAndBlanc said...

I made it to his tasting. He is indeed passionate about his wines. Like Lyle said, The Kirchspiel is awesome but I think the Hubacker is also great. Both will be unreal wines in a decade or so. He also said the '07 will be the best vintage since '01. What do you think?

David McDuff said...

The '06 Kirchspiel is indeed very fine, a little nervier and more delicate than the Hubacker, which tends to brood for a couple of years before revealing its goods.

As for '07, R&B, I've heard great things from Keller, Ratzenberger (Mittelrhein) and Schonleber (Nahe) but, not having been over, I haven't actually tasted any barrel samples so I can only say that it's fairly safe to take their word for it. It should like it should be a vintage with classic structure and great fruit intensity.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin