Sunday, February 1, 2009

My Picks for the Super Bowl

What’s that you say? It’s a bit late? The game’s already on?

I like to tell people I don’t know what the Super Bowl is but the fact is that it’s impossible to live in the US and not be barraged with predictions, marketing campaigns and hyperbole all geared up around the biggest sports event on the American calendar. This year, I’ve even seen people making wine recommendations for your Super Bowl Sunday viewing pleasure.

So, without further adieu, here are my picks for the big game.

The underdog: Meursault-Perrières. It’s just not fair that such a great vineyard will never win that Grand Cru ring. Pick a wine from the reputable producer of your choice then sit back, swirl, sniff and sip in smug satisfaction that you’re drinking great white wine while watching what’s clearly a red wine sport. Me? I’m a long time fan of the ’85 from Robert Ampeau.

The favorite: Football a red wine sport…? Speaking of fair – or in this case, fer – I hear the Steelers are playing tonight. The only wine of choice for those supporting the team from the iron city has to be Marcillac, the great country wine of Southwest France. After all, iron is its first name (it’s made from none other than Fer Servadou). And it’s way yummier than Iron City Beer. Tastes great, less swilling.

Those are my picks and I’m sticking with ‘em. You didn’t really think I was going to make a prediction, did you?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i know you're not really asking but... i drank :

Andreas Liable 2007 Durbacher Plauelrain Traminer Spatlese Trocken

2007 Ratzenberger Bacharacher Riesling Kabinett

2007 E Vatan Sancerre

All were terrific with veal tenderloin, oven roasted potato, parsnip, carrot, and cippolini onions.

David McDuff said...

Hmm and mmm, sounds terrific. But aren't those all white wines???

PS: the Ratzenberger's trocken!

PPS: who cooked the vegetables?

Anonymous said...

the vegetables were my doing at my wife's request.

we've been very white centric lately.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin