Wednesday, April 16, 2008

From Her to Eternity


In anticipation of the approach of the Philadelphia Film Festival, I posted a clip a few weeks back of Wilhelmina Fernandez's aria from the stylish French noir film "Diva." I only made it to three flicks this year, about 10 less than usual in years past. But I still relished the three. I'm always amazed at how few people in Philly even realize their own town has an annual international film festival.

Now that the Festival's wound down, I figured I'd pay tribute with a little more music from film. This time, the clip's from one of my truly favorite movies, Wim Wenders' "Der Himmel Über Berlin" (Wings of Desire). It doesn't hurt that the music's also from a seminal band. As I try to get into Nick Cave's latest release, "Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!!," this takes us back to the early days of the Bad Seeds.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wasn't there a Nick Cave as writer film at the Fest within the last few years? A Western set in the Australia outback with Guy Pearce and Danny Huston. I think it was called The Proposition.

David McDuff said...

You know, that must have been hanging out in the subliminal corners of my memory somewhere. I saw The Proposition at the 2006 festival but wasn't thinking of it at all when I posted the clip from Wings of Desire.

The connection is obvious -- had I remembered it -- given that Nick Cave wrote the screenplay for The Proposition and also collaborated on the soundtrack with long-time Bad Seeds member Warren Ellis.

Come to think of it, I'd really like to see both films again sometime soon.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin