Thursday, February 10, 2011

Tasting at the Consorzio


As I mentioned yesterday and as many of my colleagues have also reported, each day of our trip thus far has begun, at least in the "official" capacity, with a thematic tasting organized by the staff of the Consorzio dei Colli Orientali del Friuli.  Thus far, we've worked our way through fairly extensive lineups of Friulano (day one), Sauvignon (day two), as well as Schioppettino and Pignolo (on day three).

The 2006 Pignolo from Conte d'Attimis-Maniago was one of the standouts, for me, of yesterday's lineup of Pignolo.  From its savory nose of moist earth, plus an inviting whiff of the barnyard, to its dark, loamy fruit on the palate, and on to its seriously tannic finish, it's the wine I most wanted to sit down to a glass of once our degustazione was complete.

Today, we're in for a change of pace, switching gears from local wine to a representative triad of the local food culture: Prosciutto di San Daniele, Formaggio Montasio, and Gubana.  I'm posting this while the rest of the group is already in the midst of the introductory presentation, so I'd better be on my way....

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin