News flash! My little home village of Havertown has just received approval for its own European-style farmers' market. Scheduled to open on May 23, 2007, the market will be a weekly venue for a select group of the region's best small farms. The Oakmont Farmers' Market, its official name, will be located in the Oakmont parking lot on Darby Road, just west of the intersection with Eagle Road, on Wednesdays from 3:30 PM until 7:00 PM. The season is scheduled to run from May 23 through November 21. Thus far, nine vendors have signed on, including:
- four vegetable and fruit growers (two of them certified organic)
- Great Harvest bread company
- a grass-fed cheese, beef and lamb producer from Lancaster County
- a Bucks County pastured bison farmer
- an organic chicken and egg producer from Montgomery County
- and an Amish flower grower.
I've volunteered to participate as a member of the Farmers' Market Association and, of course, am looking forward to doing a good share of my weekly shopping in my own neighborhood. So stay tuned for more details and updates as the Oakmont Farmers' Market nears its debut.