Monday, November 2, 2009

A Post-Halloween Sun Ra Triptych

I predict a few jumps in the blogland timeline over the next few days. For now, think of it as space travel à la the Sun Ra Arkestra, which continues to thrive on the universal energy of music in Mr. Ra’s memory. Under the leadership of longtime member Marshall Allen, the Sun Ra Arkestra kicked off Saturday night’s first performance of “Anti-Jazz: The New Thing Revisited,” a four-part series being cross-promoted by Ars Nova Workshop and International House Philadelphia that continues through next spring. It’s hard to think of a show more appropriate for Halloween night. Funkadelic, perhaps… or Gwar might come close. But this was the real deal.

The first video of the trio below sets the Sun Ra stage. The second comes closest to capturing some of the more anarchic, freewheeling moments of the Halloween gig, with a 28-years younger Marshall Allen blowing his alto with wild abandon. The third… well, you’ll figure that one out.





2 comments:

Alfonso Cevola said...

awesome! I love Sun Ra

David McDuff said...

Same here, Alfonso, though I don't listen to my old LPs as often as I should. I was surprised when The Wine Digger told me some of the original vinyl releases fetch sums in the $500+ range on eBay. Makes me (re)consider selling some of my collection....

Blog Widget by LinkWithin