It’s only a few days before the grand opening of the Oakmont Farmers Market. I’m psyched for day one and thought a little background information might help build anticipation for others as well.
This real, urban market is part of Farm to City, an organization supporting community and sustainable agriculture through a series of farmers markets in the Philadelphia area. The Oakmont Farmers Market will be only the second outpost of Farm to City – along with that in Swarthmore – to be based outside of the Philadelphia city limits.
Confirmed producers for the inaugural year at the market include:
- North Star Orchard: Multiple varieties of apples, pears, plums, peaches, cherries, fruit butters and ciders
- Fruitwood Orchards Honey Farm: Local honeys and a variety of fruits and vegetables
- Willing Hands Organic Farm: Organic produce
- Blueberry Hill Farm: Produce
- Pumpkin Ridge Creations: Cut flowers
- Hillacres Pride: Cows’ milk cheeses, beef, pork, lamb and poultry
- Great Harvest Bread Company
- Backyard Bison: Burgers, steaks, ribs, roasts and cured meats from locally pastured American Plains Buffalo
The mission of the market is simple: to provide an outlet for local farmers to present their naturally grown goods directly to members of their own greater communities. The market is producer-only; to be represented, all products must be grown and produced within 100 miles of Havertown. The idea is not only to provide healthy, natural products but also to promote a greater reliance on locally farmed food. Why buy an “organic” apple from Washington State, a blackberry from Mexico, ground beef from Texas or broccoli from China when you can get them and other great seasonal goods from a farm in your own community? When the food on your table doesn’t travel hundreds or even thousands of miles to get there, its environmental impact is gentler and its greater freshness is made that much more meaningful.
Opening ceremonies begin at 3:00 PM sharp this Wednesday, May 23, 2007. Bring your families, bring your shopping lists and help to strengthen your community by eating great, locally grown food.
Oakmont Farmers Market
Wednesdays from 3:00 to 7:00 PM
May 23 – November 21, 2007
In the Oakmont Parking Lot
One block NW of the intersection of Darby & Eagle Roads
2419 West Darby Road
Havertown, PA 19083