Friday, March 5, 2010

On the Barbera Trail

As promised a few days ago, and at the kind request of the estimable Dr. P., I've contributed a guest blog post, written from my perspective as a wine retailer, for the Barbera 2010 project. Here's an excerpt to whet your collective whistles:

"It's the wines that capture Barbera's innate rusticity and display its ease at the table that I find myself leading people to time and time again.

Take the wines of Roberto Ferraris, a grower of Barbera d'Asti whose nine-hectare farm is nestled in the hills of Agliano Terme. Ferraris is not a producer on many people's radar but I kind of like it that way. It removes any pretense of selling his wines based on a name. The focus instead is entirely on quality, and Roberto delivers just that, from his entry-level Barbera d'Asti through his vineyard designated wines...."

To read the whole story, head on over to my post at the Barbera 2010 blog. Thanks for having me, y'all. Buon viaggio!

4 comments:

TWG said...

Cory is leaving for 5 months?

David McDuff said...

5 weeks, I believe. Don't worry, our beer bloggin' plans will get back on track when Cory returns. If he decides to defect, I trust he'll let me know....

Avvinare said...

I just read the full post on Barbera Blog. Great comparisons to Pinot Noir. I think a blind tasting might be in order to see if one would confuse the two, more things to worry about on an exam :). Look forward to more Barbera posts and others. Happy birthday MFWT.

David McDuff said...

Thanks, Susannah. I'm tempted to say I don't think Barbera would be confused with Pinot Noir in a blind tasting, in spite of all the similarities I mentioned. But I'm sure I could be proven wrong, especially if the Pinot Noir examples hailed from the New World.... Thanks for the b-day wishes.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin