Sunday, July 27, 2008

On the Champs-Élysées

Ok, I promise this will be the last cycling post here for at least a little while. I'll get back to food and wine posthaste. But today... today was the final stage of the 2008 Tour de France, a race which has finished on the Champs-Élysées every year since 1979. It has to be one of the most beautiful sporting stages in the world. Just watching the race, I can remember every time I've strolled the Avenue, picture the shops, visualize the insane traffic in the circle around the Arc de Triomphe....

I always wish I were there, absorbing the energy of the passing peloton in person. (Photo copyright and courtesy of AFP Photo.)


Belgian Gert Steegmans benefited from an incredible lead out from his Quick Step teammates to take the final stage.

This year's podium: Carlos Sastre took the yellow, followed by Cadel Evans (second for the second year in a row) with revelation Bernhard Kohl rounding out the top three. (Photo copyright and courtesy of Roberto Bettini Photography.)

Regular programming to resume tomorrow.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin